BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) - Georgette Fogarty-Clemons was heading home from her wedding Sunday evening, looking forward to relaxing with a few friends. Her friend was driving slowly because they had some leftover cake in the car, along with hydrangeas and lilies still in water.That's when Clemons spotted smoke from the side of her neighbor's house in Bridgeport and told her friend to back up and stop.Still in her wedding gown and high heels, Fogarty-Clemons jumped out of the car."I stepped right into a pile of mud," Fogarty-Clemons said. "I just thought to myself, 'Oh my God, my shoes.""Where are you going?" asked her friend, Hanifah Bost, thinking the smoke was from a barbecue. Guests following them were equally perplexed."That's fire," Fogarty-Clemons said. "Come on; we have to tell them."Fogarty-Clemons made it to the house and pounded on the door, alerting the residents to the fire. A woman and her 16-year-old son and their pets were able to escape unharmed."We have no way of knowing what would have happened had she not come to the door," said Susan Schneiderman, who owns the house that caught fire.As firefighters arrived and battled the blaze after members of the family were alerted, Clemons folded her muddied wedding dress nearby."She was doing her best to get everybody out," Bridgeport Deputy Fire Chief Bruce Porzelt said of Fogarty-Clemons. "It's got to be a funny thing to end up doing that on your wedding day, in your wedding gown."
Top 10 Advice on finding the DRESS!
- Number One Rule: Be open minded! What you think reminds you of your grandmother's dress on the hanger, may in fact be the dress of your dreams.
- Bring someone that knows your style better than their own. I'm sure the groom doesn't want to see you in something that your bestfriend would wear on her wedding day
- DON'T PURCHASE YOUR DRESS ONLINE! You miss out on the whole experience.
- Don't worry what the groom will think. If he loves you, he will love what you pick.
- Have fun! Remember that you have been dreaming of this day since you were five. Don't let the decision put a cloud over your head
- If you hate the little bow on the dress, ask the consultant if you can order it without.it. Chances are you can. Keep in mind (contrary to what the magazines always say) there might be a charge for it. It won't lower the cost of the dress.
- Price vs. Love: If you love the dress, GO FOR IT! Don't settle for less on what your wearing for your big day. You can always take some of the budget from the centerpieces and so on. No one will know and we won't tell.
- Research designers online and make a scrap book of styles that you like. Do keep in mind, that it may all change when you start trying on.
- Save the group shopping for the mall. This should be a personal experience that you should only share with one or two.
- When you find it, you find it. Don't second guess yourself or you will pick your second favorite.