Thursday, October 8, 2009
It all started with a birthday cake...
Another vendor we absolutely love in the Gainesville area is Kristy from Posh Pastry! We recently got to spend time with Kristy when she participated in Denim & Diamonds Bridesmaid night at Solutions Bridal. Kristy wowed our brides and bridesmaids with DELICIOUS chocolate covered pretzels and DECADENT chocolate cake samples. We asked Kristy a few questions about Posh Pastry and how she got started in the biz.
"I wanted to make a cake for my son's first birthday, so I went to Michael's and took the cake decorating classes. I made his cake and it was a big success. Everything grew from that one little cake. I made more and more cakes for friends and family, learning lots along the way. I took all the classes that I could find, even attending professional classes at a pastry school. I was asked to make a very large alligator cake for UF and that's when Posh Pastry was born.
We built my cake studio, registered my business and got it licensed the week before the cake was due."
Posh Pastry offers the bride much more than a traditional wedding cake.
"I offer a new, fresh, approach to wedding cakes. Posh Pastry doesn't make
your grandma's style cakes. I specialize in modern cakes with a clean
contemporary edge. Each cake is completely custom designed just for the
bride and groom. We can do almost anything with cake. I've never said, 'I
don't think I can do that' and that has led to some pretty cool cakes! Our
sculpted cakes really set us apart from the rest. I've made a six foot
alligator, a life size guitar, a Porsche, and even a bag of Twizzlers!"
Posh Pastry also offers custom designed gourmet chocolate pretzels. They are
hand dipped and custom decorated to fit any color scheme, so they make great
favors. They look beautiful and taste amazing!!
Top 10 Advice on finding the DRESS!
- Number One Rule: Be open minded! What you think reminds you of your grandmother's dress on the hanger, may in fact be the dress of your dreams.
- Bring someone that knows your style better than their own. I'm sure the groom doesn't want to see you in something that your bestfriend would wear on her wedding day
- DON'T PURCHASE YOUR DRESS ONLINE! You miss out on the whole experience.
- Don't worry what the groom will think. If he loves you, he will love what you pick.
- Have fun! Remember that you have been dreaming of this day since you were five. Don't let the decision put a cloud over your head
- If you hate the little bow on the dress, ask the consultant if you can order it without.it. Chances are you can. Keep in mind (contrary to what the magazines always say) there might be a charge for it. It won't lower the cost of the dress.
- Price vs. Love: If you love the dress, GO FOR IT! Don't settle for less on what your wearing for your big day. You can always take some of the budget from the centerpieces and so on. No one will know and we won't tell.
- Research designers online and make a scrap book of styles that you like. Do keep in mind, that it may all change when you start trying on.
- Save the group shopping for the mall. This should be a personal experience that you should only share with one or two.
- When you find it, you find it. Don't second guess yourself or you will pick your second favorite.