Tuesday, November 10, 2009
The new Collections of bridal hit the runways this past October in New York and Chicago. There are all these fun new twist to the wedding gown that I've never seen before. As exciting at this is, it can also be a tease. If your wedding is Spring 2010 most of the gowns you are seeing online and in the new magazine issues are not for you. These gowns are in the process of being made for the stores and will make their debut this coming January or February.
So let's say your wedding is April and you are waiting for the Spring 2010 collections to come out. That only leaves you two months to order a dress and have it altered. Whew, that's a crunch that could leave you with hefty rush charge.
Instead, look at the images of the new dresses if you can't resist. You can still catch a few excellent ideas by taking a look at the editorial shots. Just don't get your heart set on a dress that is still in production. Its not meant to be. If you see any fabulous accessories, you could have time to order those in for the big day. The good news is, the new spring line isn't technically for Spring weddings it just represents when the line is coming out. Bridal isn't like street wear. Some of my all time favorite gowns are from collections a couple of years back. Those are the ones that have stood the test of time.
The Alvina Valenta shown is from Fall 2006. Its one of my favorite gowns in the store. I would be more than happy to wear that one down the aisle!
Top 10 Advice on finding the DRESS!
- Number One Rule: Be open minded! What you think reminds you of your grandmother's dress on the hanger, may in fact be the dress of your dreams.
- Bring someone that knows your style better than their own. I'm sure the groom doesn't want to see you in something that your bestfriend would wear on her wedding day
- DON'T PURCHASE YOUR DRESS ONLINE! You miss out on the whole experience.
- Don't worry what the groom will think. If he loves you, he will love what you pick.
- Have fun! Remember that you have been dreaming of this day since you were five. Don't let the decision put a cloud over your head
- If you hate the little bow on the dress, ask the consultant if you can order it without.it. Chances are you can. Keep in mind (contrary to what the magazines always say) there might be a charge for it. It won't lower the cost of the dress.
- Price vs. Love: If you love the dress, GO FOR IT! Don't settle for less on what your wearing for your big day. You can always take some of the budget from the centerpieces and so on. No one will know and we won't tell.
- Research designers online and make a scrap book of styles that you like. Do keep in mind, that it may all change when you start trying on.
- Save the group shopping for the mall. This should be a personal experience that you should only share with one or two.
- When you find it, you find it. Don't second guess yourself or you will pick your second favorite.